Seville's version of Central Park, a cool and green getaway from the city heat.
The Maria Luisa is Seville's equivalent of Central Park - not just a green oasis, but a patchwork of different gardens and hidden nooks and crannies that make it a delight to wander round. It's planted with a wide variety of trees and other plants, which have now grown to an impressive maturity, which provide a home for wildlife, especially birds. The space was originally part of the San Telmo palace, and was given to the city in 1893, but the park as we see it today was largely constructed for the 1929 exhibition, and includes the Plaza de España and the Museums of Archaelogy and Art and Popular Culture; there are also a number of other pavilions from the exhibition close by. Favourite spots include the ornamental pond in the Plaza America, the Lion Fountain and its formal garden, and the "waterfall hill".