Dubrovnik cathedral

Address: Poljana Marina Držića, Dubrovnik, 20000, Croatia
Telephone: 020 323459

- Budget


See Dubrovnik’s Baroque cathedral and a stash of golden reliquaries in the adjoining treasury.

The cathedral’s green copper cupola can be spotted from afar, rising above Dubrovnik’s terracotta rooftops. Although there’s been a cathedral on this site since the 12th-century, the Baroque structure you see today dates from the late-17th century, after the original was destroyed by an earthquake in 1667. Interestingly, in the years when Dubrovnik was an independent republic, the bishop had to be a foreigner, so as to separate religion from local politics. Be sure to check out the adjoining treasury, displaying well over a hundred gold and silver reliquaries, brought here from the former Byzantine lands by local sailors. The most impressive exhibit is the skull of St Blaise (Dubrovnik’s patron saint) encased in a bejewelled Byzantine crown. An arm and a leg, also apparently once belonging to the unfortunate Blaise, are also on display, decorated with golden plating.

Value for money

Price advice

Cathedral free; treasury 15 kunas.

Expert tips

Recommended for

  • Culture vultures
  • Mature travellers
  • Sightseeing
  • History
  • Design and architecture