York Cold War Bunker
Monument Close, York, YO24 4HT
|Save money and beat the queues by booking attractions, tours and things...|
- Recommended for:
- Backpackers / Students, Business travellers, Couples, Families with teenagers, Mature travellers, Design and architecture, History, Sightseeing
Expert review of York Cold War Bunker
An usual mound and steel building within a York suburb hides a frightening reminder of just how close the world was to self destruction in recent times. In active service from the 1960’s, more than 50 scientists and trained civilians would have lived and worked here coordinating operations pre and post a Soviet nuclear attack. Today, entering through the blast-proof doors and down into the preserved labyrinth of underground rooms, this is a still alarming insight into the once secret world of armageddon management.
Adults £6.00, concessions £5.40, children £3.60. Members of English Heritage enter for free.
Accepts Yorkshire Pass (See the Sights and attractions section on my York insider tips page for more details).
More information on York Cold War Bunker:
- Price guide:
- Historic site, Museum
- Monument Close, York, YO24 4HT
- +44 1904 646 940
- Months open:
- Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct
- Opening times:
- Sat-Sun only. 10am-4pm (Last tour 3pm).
- Free tags / Keywords:
- Cold War, Nuclear, Bunker