St George's Square (Palace Square), Valletta, VLT 1191
|Save money and beat the queues by booking attractions, tours and things...|
- Recommended for:
- Culture vultures, First-time travellers, Seasoned travellers, Art, Design and architecture, History, Sightseeing
Expert review of Grandmaster's Palace
Home to Malta’s Grandmasters from the 1570s until Napoleon booted them out in 1798, this Palace became the HQ to the British Governors of Malta until its independence in 1964. It now houses the nation’s parliament and the office of the President, as well as most of the state rooms being open to the public.
The Knights’ armoury is also here. If you are into weaponry, this has a great collection, particularly of hunting weapons but also some weapons of war (Napoleon and the British used the rest). I particularly like the helmets with eye shades to keep off the sun.
A combined ticket for the state rooms and armoury costs 10 euros for adults, 7 euros for over-60s and children aged 12-17, and 5 euros for children 6-11. If the state rooms are closed, the armoury alone costs 6/4.50/3 euros.
More information on Grandmaster's Palace:
- Price guide:
- Castle / palace, Historic site, Museum
- St George's Square (Palace Square), Valletta, VLT 1191
- 21 249 349
- Months open:
- All year round
- Opening times:
- The state rooms are open Fri-Wed 10am-4pm (last admission 3.30pm) unless the president is using them. The armoury is open daily 9am-5pm.
- Free tags / Keywords:
- weapons, paintings, tapestries