Tarifa Harbour, Sotogrande, Costa del Sol, 11380
|Save money and beat the queues by booking attractions, tours and things...|
- Recommended for:
- Families with teenagers, Families with younger children, Sporty types, Escaping the crowds, Great views / scenery, Nature / wildlife
Expert review of Whale Watching
Thanks to its unique geographical position, close to the Straits of Gibraltar, Sotogrande is arguably the best place on the Spanish Mediterranean coast to see whales in their natural environment. As such, if I’m staying here I always jump on-board a private charter to go whale and dolphin spotting in the Bay of Algeciras or in the choppy Straits. If you’ve ever seen these inquisitive animals freely bow-riding alongside your boat, you’ll know how exhilarating it is.
Obviously, sightings can never be 100 per cent guaranteed, but I’ve been fortunate enough to see Orca (known as Killer), Sperm, and Pilot Whales, as well as common and bottle-nosed dolphins.
There are many different firms offering these trips. An average price is 35 euros per head for an hour and a half’s whale and dolphin watching.
More information on Whale Watching:
- Price guide:
- Boat trip, National park / nature reserve
- Tarifa Harbour, Sotogrande, Costa del Sol, 11380
- See above
- Months open:
- Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct
- Opening times:
- Varies with each company, but normally 10am-7pm, depending on weather conditions.