Holywell Music Room
Holywell Street, Oxford, OX2 3SD
|Save money and beat the queues by booking attractions, tours and things...|
- Recommended for:
- Culture vultures, Mature travellers, Design and architecture, History, Live entertainment
Expert review of Holywell Music Room
Visiting the Holywell Music Room is not just a great musical experience - the predominantly wooden acoustics are excellent for chamber music - it's also a brush with history. This 18th-century purpose-built performing space was constructed in 1742 during the reign of George III. Many musicians, including Haydn and Handel, have performed here.
The interior of the auditorium has U-shaped raked seating and an organ. In many respects it resembles an 18th-century non-Conformist chapel.
More information on Holywell Music Room:
- Price guide:
- Architectural site, Landmark / monument
- Holywell Street, Oxford, OX2 3SD
- Faculty of Music: 01865 276125
- Months open:
- All year round
- Opening times:
- Depending on concert programme.