The Wordsworth Museum & Art Gallery, Grasmere , Cumbria, LA22 9SH
|Save money and beat the queues by booking attractions, tours and things...|
- Recommended for:
- Culture vultures, Families with teenagers, First-time travellers, Mature travellers, History, Live entertainment, Sightseeing
Expert review of Dove Cottage
Wordsworth described Grasmere as "the fairest place on earth" and Dove Cottage, the white-washed former coaching inn that provided the Wordsworth clan and fellow poets with a family home from 1799 to 1808, was the base for his "'golden decade".
The charitable Wordsworth Trust now manage Dove Cottage, plus the adjoining museum and library, which houses one of the an inspring collection of Wordsworth's surviving manuscripts and others from the Romantic period.
The Trust also stages poetry evenings on site and in the nearby Jerwood Centre.
General admission is £7.50; children £4.50; under six free.
More information on Dove Cottage:
- Price guide:
- Historic site, Museum, Tour
- The Wordsworth Museum & Art Gallery, Grasmere , Cumbria, LA22 9SH
- +44 15394 35544
- Months open:
- Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
- Opening times:
- March to October: daily 9.30am-5.30pm. November to February: daily 9.30am-4.30pm.
- Free tags / Keywords:
- William Wordsworth