Sant Ferran Castle
Castell de Sant Ferran, Figueres, 17600
|Save money and beat the queues by booking attractions, tours and things...|
- Recommended for:
- Backpackers / Students, Couples, Culture vultures, Families with teenagers, Singles, Design and architecture, Education, History, Sightseeing
Expert review of Sant Ferran Castle
This massive fortress, just a 10 minute walk uphill from the Dalí Museum in Figueres, was built in the 18th century to fend off the frequent invasions from the neighbouring French and was for many years considered one of the most impressive in Europe. It’s still one of the largest in the world and, as you might imagine, has some spectacularly commanding views over the surrounding Empordá countryside as well as out to the coast. What I find most fascinating about the fortress itself though are the underground stables (which apparently managed to hide a cavalry regiment of 500 when necessary) and the extensive network of cisterns designed to store vast water reserves in case of siege.
You can get audioguides in English and most major European languages which last about three quarters of an hour to an hour.
More information on Sant Ferran Castle:
- Price guide:
- Castle / palace, Historic site, Landmark / monument
- Castell de Sant Ferran, Figueres, 17600
- 972 51 45 85
- Months open:
- All year round
- Opening times:
- Jul – Sep 10.30am-7pm, Oct – Jun 10.30-3pm. Open all year except New Year’s Day and Christmas Day.
- Free tags / Keywords:
- Historic Castle, fortress, battle