Steam Yacht Gondola
Coniston Pier, Coniston, Cumbria, LA21 8AN
|Save money and beat the queues by booking attractions, tours and things...|
- Recommended for:
- Culture vultures, Families with teenagers, First-time travellers, Mature travellers, Seasoned travellers, Chilling out, Great views / scenery, History, Sightseeing, Special occasions
Best for Posing - Expert review of Steam Yacht Gondola
The 45-minute ride on the steam yacht Gondola is a chance to revel in living history.
The puffing steam yacht Gondola first took to the water on June 24, 1860, and stopped sailing in 1936. In the 1970s, Gondola was salvaged from the bottom of the lake by members of the National Trust, which now owns and runs the restored vessel.
The journey itself combines the experience of travelling in opulent Victorian surroundings with stunning views of Coniston's west and east shores as you chug along at a steady 12mph.
I loved sitting out on deck, the engine gently purring like a contented tiger, and soaking up the views across to the Old Man of Coniston to the north and Peel Island to the south.
Adult £8; children aged £4; under fives free.
More information on Steam Yacht Gondola:
- Price guide:
- Boat trip, Lake / river / canal, Watersports
- Coniston Pier, Coniston, Cumbria, LA21 8AN
- +44 1539 441288
- Months open:
- Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct
- Opening times:
- Up to seven departures per day in high season but sailings are weather dependent – call for details.
- Free tags / Keywords:
- National Trust