near Grasmere, Ambleside, Cumbria, LA22 9LU
|Save money and beat the queues by booking attractions, tours and things...|
- Recommended for:
- Culture vultures, Families with teenagers, Mature travellers, History, Nature / wildlife, Sightseeing
Expert review of Rydal Mount
Rydal Mount is the stately house that was the family home for 37 years from 1813 to 1850. Wordsworth revised many of his earlier works while living at Rydal Mount and completed the final draft of Daffodils here in 1815.
The house now belongs to the descendants of the family and contains numerous portraits, personal possessions and first editions of the poet's work.
Wordsworth loved the proeprty's garden and it remains today much as he designed it with rare shrubs, fell-side terraces and rock pools.
William and hife wife, Mary, lived out their lives at Rydal Mount until their deaths in 1850 and 1859 respectively.
General admission is £6.50; children £3; under fives free; garden only £4.
More information on Rydal Mount:
- Price guide:
- Historic site, Museum, Park / garden
- near Grasmere, Ambleside, Cumbria, LA22 9LU
- +44 1539 433002
- Months open:
- Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
- Opening times:
- March to October: daily 9.30am-5pm. November to February: Weds-Sun 11am-4pm.
- Free tags / Keywords:
- William Wordsworth