Lido Café Bar
The Serpentine, Hyde Park, London, W2 2UH
- Recommended for:
- Families with teenagers, Families with younger children, Mature travellers, Singles, Sporty types, Chilling out, Great views / scenery, No fuss, Relaxation, Sightseeing
Best for Outdoor dining - Expert review of Lido Café Bar
There are two café-restaurants by Hyde Park’s Serpentine; both have lovely views but this one, near the Albert Monument, has superior cooking. The building was originally the nearby lido’s changing rooms and has been a café for many years but was recently taken over by a new team who have refurbished it beautifully.
Brown shrimp salad with watercress, croutons and soft-boiled egg is a delicious plate of punchy flavours and noticeably spiced with rarely-seen mace. If you want something more substantial, the slow-roast lamb with flageolet beans is a winner. The seasonal fruit crumbles (rhubarb and ginger, for example) are better than you’ll find in many a restaurant or gastropub. They take great care over their drinks, too, knocking out everything from quality cappuccinos to a restorative whisky sour (I had a cold last time I was there, honestly, it was medicinal).
French doors along the front provide charming views of water and parkland –this is the closest London gets to Sydney’s iconic Bathers Pavilion at Balmoral Beach. Sadly, they can’t do anything about the weather.
Order at the bar and the food is courteously brought to your table.
It's a long way from the tube station, but very handy if you're in the area, enjoying the park or attending a concert at the Albert Hall.
If you simply wanted toast and tea you could spend less than a fiver, pizzettes are £4.50-£5.50, and main courses £6-£14.
More information on Lido Café Bar:
- Price guide:
- Bar, Café, Takeaway
- British, French, Mediterranean
- The Serpentine, Hyde Park, London, W2 2UH
- 020 7706 7098
- Breakfast, Lunch, Afternoon Tea
- Opening times:
- Daily 8am until dusk. Closes 4pm Jan, Feb, Nov, Dec; 5pm Mar, Oct; 6pm Apr; 7pm Sept; 7.30pm May; 8pm June; 9pm Jul, Aug. Closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
- Accepts Credit Cards:
- Not possible
- Free tags / Keywords: