Bibendum Restaurant & Oyster Bar
Michelin House, 81 Fulham Road, London, SW3 6RD
- Recommended for:
- Business travellers, Couples, Culture vultures, Foodies, Mature travellers, Escaping the crowds, People watching, Romance, Shopping, Special occasions
Expert review of Bibendum Restaurant & Oyster Bar
I’m not alone in thinking this is one of London’s loveliest dining rooms. Guests sit surrounded by stained glass windows illustrating Bibendum – the Michelin Man – for this 1911 tile-covered building was originally the Michelin Tyre Company’s London headquarters.
Very good, though I always tend to feel I’m paying a high premium for the location (eat in the downstairs oyster bar for a cheaper, more casual meal). The restaurant menu is modern European with plenty of French accents in tribute to its heritage. You’ll find foie gras, escargot, tête de veau and duck magret but also roast grouse (in season) with bread sauce, game chips and damson cheese, and fish and chips.
Elegant yet fun. Well-heeled locals and their families come on weekends, while weekdays see a business crowd and ladies who lunch.
Perfectly professional and adept.
A landmark in the heart of South Kensington.
Come at lunchtime for the best value in the restaurant. The set menus have a decent choice of dishes and are £29.50 for three courses; go à la carte and main courses alone are £19.50-£27.50. In the oyster bar, house terrine with toast is £7.50, crab salad is £12.50, fruits de mer platter £29.50 per person, and a bottle of house white £17.50.
More information on Bibendum Restaurant & Oyster Bar:
- Price guide:
- Café, Restaurant
- British, French, Modern, Seafood
- Michelin House, 81 Fulham Road, London, SW3 6RD
- 020 7581 5817
- Lunch, Afternoon Tea, Dinner
- Opening times:
- Restaurant Mon-Sat noon-2.30pm, 7-11pm; Sun 12.30pm-3pm, 7pm-10.30pm. Oyster bar Mon-Sat noon-11pm, Sun noon-10.30pm. Café Mon-Fri 8.30am-5pm; Sat 9am-noon.
- Accepts Credit Cards:
- Essential at peak times
- Free tags / Keywords:
- Terence Conran