64 Western Road, Brighton, East Sussex, BN3 2JQ
- Recommended for:
- Business travellers, Couples, Families with teenagers, Honeymooners, Mature travellers, Escaping the crowds, Relaxation, Special occasions
Expert review of The Meadow
Run by a young chef who trained at Gordon Ramsay’s Pétrus, The Meadow serves attention-grabbing dishes, such as potted goose with hedgerow jelly, in calm, uncluttered surroundings. Everything changes with the seasons, so there’s always a reason to come back.
Will Murgatroyd, the man behind The Meadow, turns out organic haute cuisine with apparent ease, but he likes to keep his menu approachable. Alongside his delicious monthly specials, which may include wild boar charcuterie, pine nut-crusted cod with lemon butter sauce or roast pheasant with chestnut and apple stuffing, you’ll also find back-to-basics choices, with fish and chips with mushy peas and pickled onions a speciality. There’s decent wine to match.
The interior, is light, airy and family-friendly. Simple, blond wood tables share the space with The Meadow’s own farm shop and traiteur.
The staff are courteous and efficient.
The building, a former bank, is set among Hove’s most elegant terraces and garden squares, around 300 metres from the seafront.
Simpler dishes cost £6.50-£11.50, more elaborate main courses are priced at £17-£20.
More information on The Meadow:
- Price guide:
- Deli, Restaurant
- British, International, Modern, Vegetarian
- 64 Western Road, Brighton, East Sussex, BN3 2JQ
- 01273 721182
- Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner
- Opening times:
- Tue-Thu 9.30am-2.30pm, 6.30-9.30pm, Fri-Sat 9.30am-2.30pm, 6.30-10pm, Sun 9.30am-3pm.
- Accepts Credit Cards:
- Essential at peak times
- Free tags / Keywords:
- Local ingredients, organic, Ethical