The Depot, 100 North Road, Brighton, East Sussex, BN1 1YE
- Recommended for:
- Families with teenagers, Families with younger children, Foodies, Mature travellers, Singles, No fuss, People watching, Shopping, Sightseeing, Trendiness
Best for Families - Expert review of Bill's
Bill’s just gets it right. The space is great, with a high ceiling, pine-topped tables, old church chairs and an urban vibe that’s cool without trying. The walls are lined with good-looking groceries and fragrant produce and the menu is crammed with tasty, imaginative, deli fare. I love it, and I’m not alone - it’s so popular that dropping in always feels like a social event.
Everything is fresh and delicious but breakfast (served till noon) is outstanding - the choices include bubble and squeak with ham, eggs and hollandaise, or grilled vine tomatoes with pesto and rocket on toast. Lunch and dinner dishes include salads, risottos and grills; juices, smoothies and indulgent, flower-topped puddings are a speciality.
Bill’s is large enough to feel airy even though the tables are crammed together. It attracts groups of mates enjoying a leisurely brunch, girlfriends meeting for coffee and families tucking into lunch. There’s nearly always a few babies in tow.
It's informal and friendly - but sometimes it’s just so busy, you have to wait.
In the lively, bohemian North Laine district, it's an easy walk from the station.
Breakfast costs £4-£8; most main courses are excellent value at under £10. The puddings (£5-£6) may seem slightly pricey in comparison, but are totally worth it.
The Bill’s success story began in Lewes; a third Bill’s has now opened in Covent Garden, London.
More information on Bill's:
- Price guide:
- Café, Deli, Restaurant
- British, Mediterranean, Modern, Snacks, Vegetarian
- The Depot, 100 North Road, Brighton, East Sussex, BN1 1YE
- 01273 692894
- Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Afternoon Tea, Dinner
- Opening times:
- Mon-Thu 8am-11pm, Fri 8am-11.30pm, Sat 9am-11.30pm, Sun 9am-10.30pm.
- Accepts Credit Cards:
- Not necessary
- Free tags / Keywords:
- Local ingredients, Ethical, organic