Copenhagen car hire
Hiring a car in Copenhagen
You will not find a rental car in Copenhagen much use. Copenhagen has consciously spent the last 30 years designing the car out of major parts of the city and giving the roads back to pedestrians and cyclists. In fact you'll find car hire a hindrance and a nuisance - parking is both hard to find and expensive.
The compact city centre is easy to explore on foot or by pedal power, while the well integrated rail, metro, bus and water bus systems are affordable and pleasurable to use. Transit from the airport is fastest by rail - just 15 minutes. If push comes to shove, taxis are plentiful too from the airport and in the city.
If you're planning to explore a lot further afield, however, car rental options are plentiful, painless and on a par cost-wise with other major European cities. Most of the major rental brands operate from both the city centre and the airport, so it's all easy. Avis (avis.dk), Budget (budget.dk), Europcar (Europcar.dk) and Hertz (hertzdk.dk) all operate in Copenhagen. Use the booking tool above to compare prices.
Rules of the Road
- Dial 112 in emergencies.
- You drive on the right in Denmark.
- Seatbelts must be used by law. Fines apply.
- Children under 135cm must have an infant or booster seat as appropriate.
- Speed limits are usually 50km/h in urban areas but can be as low as 20km/h in some pedestrian priority zones.
- Main road speed limits are 80km/h and 110km/h on motorways.
- Speeding fines can be steep - up to 10,000 krone.
- Using mobile phones while driving is illegal. Fines apply
- Don't drink and drive - the blood alcohol limit is low, 0.05%. Severe fines and penalties apply.