Keep up to date with the most current News, Travel Tips & Developments from Simonseeks with the new Blog.
Looking for an adventure?
Does the thought of a quiet week relaxing on a beach make you yawn? Does a caravanning trip to the south of France leave you wanting more? Why not try one of the many adventure holidays there are available worldwide. Whether you want to ride elephants in Thailand or trek through the Amazon jungle among the wildlife, there are hundreds of sites out there that want to help you plan your perfect trip. Here are a few of the best adventure travel sites I have come across.
If you love exploring new places, what better way to do it than diving? The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration believe 95 percent of the deep blue sea remains unexplored. And with 50% of living species on the planet living in the underwater, you are sure to come across creature you never knew existed. www.godiving.org is a very useful resource if you’re not sure where you would like to dive. Check out their post on The Top 5 Diving Destinations for some inspiration.
Not on the list but well worth a mention is the infamous Protea Banks, rated as one of the world’s top 100 divesites by Unterwasser Magazine. To find out more, visit African Dive Adventures who have been rated as one of the world’s top 100 dive operators by the same people. If you go during South Africa’s shark season, you are likely to see a Zambezi (Bull Shark), Hammerhead, Ragged-tooth, Tiger, Black Tip, the occasional Great White and Copper Sharks.
If you are really passionate about diving, visit GreatestDiveSites.com. Here you can create your own online profile, add pictures, link movies, add dive sites and create a guide and online backup of your dive pictures and logbook.
If you want to see a piece of history during your dive, take a look at www.oceantreasures.org where you will find some great videos and information on Shipwrecks and Lost Treasures of the Seven Seas. And for all the latest diving deals, visit Deals 4 Divers.
If you want a holiday that is going to leave you with a sense of achievement, why not incorporate a trek into your trip? Nepal is famous for its breath-takingly high mountains, all of which offer a unique experience. And if you’re going to travel all the way to Nepal for a trek, Why not make it the ultimate trekkers experience and climb Mount Everest, the world’s highest mountain. For more information, visit the third largest travel portal in Nepal, Nepal Visitors Trekking and Walking Pvt. Ltd , where you can find a wide range of Everest trekking, climbing and Everest Base Camp holidays.
Another destination that is much less known for its trekking is Morocco. If you do know your trekking facts, you will already know that when most people think of trekking in Morocco the mountain that comes to mind is Toubkal. This is the highest mountain in North Africa at 4167m above sea level. Located only 60km from Marrakech, this is the perfect opportunity to combine some adventure with a bit of culture. Some of the things to do in Marrakech include strolling around Yves Saint Laurent's Jardin Majorelle, buying a souvenir or two in the souks, and taking in the snake charmers and street performers at the Djemma el Fna square. With the prominent Arab and French influence in Marrakech, it's likely that you'll forget that you're still in Africa.
If you fancy scaling one of the worlds gentlest high summits, take a look at embarkadventures.com for more information on climbing mt. kilimanjaro tours. Opting for the road less traveled (fewer than 10 percent of climbers take the Lemosho to the Western Breach Route), Embark boasts a climber’s dream combination: a high success rate with very low foot traffic.
If climbing all the way up a mountain, just to come back down again isn’t your idea of fun. Why not try off-road motor biking? There are plenty of places to ride off road in the UK but you can also experience it in a completely new environment. Offroad Vietnam Motorcycle Tours is a very useful site full of off-road information on tours and adventures in Vietnam on Honda real road motorcycles, dirt bikes and moped scooters. For more information on motorcycle tours around the world, take a look at RealAdventures.com. They have a wide range of offers including the chance to travel over 1100 miles down the Baja California Transpeninsular Highway on a BMW motorcycle. Also take a look at Across and Abroad for your ultimate online travel & adventure magazine.
If a pedal bike is more what you are after, why not explore a new city by bicycle. Riding along at your own pace gives you a chance to properly take in your surroundings and also visit hidden, off the beaten track places that you can’t get to by car. Bicycle-Adventures.com is written by Peter, a veteran cyclist who has more than 100.000 km cycled from Holland to Asia with spending a year in India, more than 2 years in China and many other countries. His website offers personal experiences and advice about cycling in general and specific travel destinations in between Holland and Asia.
Discovery Travel organises a wide range of self-guided walking and cycling holidays in Britain and Europe ranging from Wainwright's Coast to Coast Walk to cycling in Tuscany, walking in Montenegro and Mountain Biking in Lanzarote. We provide a personal service which includes good quality accommodation, luggage transfers, maps and route details, bike hire and emergency support.
If you want to the chance to see iconic wildlife in their natural habitat, why not go on a safari holiday and get up close and personal with the wild creatures of the world. Africa is one of the most diverse destinations, perfect for a safari holiday. With the mix of desert, rainforest, mountain ranges, amazing beaches and tropical islands, it’s no wonder Africa is the ultimate destination for the safari explorers. For more information on Kenya Camping Safari & Mount Kenya Climbing , visit explorerkenya.com. They are a tour operator specialising in hotel bookings, lodges and camping safaris as well as mountain climbing and beach holidays.
South Africa is often referred to as the Adventure capital of the world. In a destination that is filled with amazing scenery and wildlife , it’s impossible not to find take part in a once of a lifetime experience. Safaris are one of the most popular tourist activities throughout the country and thanks to vast amount of undisturbed land there is, there is ample opportunity to spot the Big 5! Most people think accommodation in South Africa is expensive. but the growing number of self catering accommodation and B&B’s means it is now a much more affordable place to visit. Take a look at southafricanbedandbreakfast.info for more information about what there is on offer.
If you want to go on a safari of a life time but are worried about it costing too much, take a look at TravelButlers.com and their guide to making your money go further on safari. Lots of useful tips that even the most experienced traveller might not have known!
For another excellent resource, take a look at African Home Adventure Safaris Kenya and Tanzania, an adventure travel and tour operator committed to offering sustainable and affordable friendly tourism activities since 2001. African Home Adventure Safaris offers personalised and quality East African Safaris, Kenya Tours and Kilimanjaro Climbing. A great mix of adventure holiday ideas.
There is a whole load of information for independent travellers available on the internet but a great deal of it is geared towards one half of the population. Solo travel isn't just for men: women travel on their own everywhere too and if you are want to find out more, take a look at Women on the Road, a site written by a independent female traveller with firsthand experience, tips and advice for other women who are planning a trip on their own. Find out about Ross’ backpacking experiences as he shares his stories from his travels on New Adventures In Backpacking You’ll even find out about some top backpacking tips. And If you’re still looking for more information on backpacking then this particular backpacking blog has some great tips on the best destinations around the world for travellers.
For some tips from people with first-hand expereience, take a look at Off-track backpacking. The site was set up five years ago when Nara and Tanya met in Portugal while travelling. They became instant friends and have grown their relationship to now be able to share their backpacking experiences with others through blogging. Their site is not only a journal of their backpacking experiences, but also about travel tips, news, and travel ideas to help others reach out for that travel bug. Find more backpacking tips at Travel Guideline; they will give advice ranging from the best gadgets to take to how to prevent getting a bad back from carrying your backpack everywhere.
Can’t make your mind up?
If you’re not sure what it is you want to do, here are a few sites that should give you some ideas:
- Hop & Jaunt: Alyson and John love to travel and have a great blog of fun stories and amazing photographs to document their travels.
- The Freedonia Post is intended to be an entertaining look at the world. As I journey across the globe, the site shows off what I consider the most important part of travel – the fun! So it’s usually silly, often random and always a skewed view of the world from a card carrying goofball.
- The bora bora - Bed And Dream is a small luxury privacy simply family own resort on the beach of Pranburi, Thailand. Located south of Hua Hin right on the most beautiful beach of Pranburi. It is a place to relax and place to enjoy quiet peace and relaxation. Where you can enjoy all real nature, white sandy beach, Sam Roi Yod national park, caves, islands, charming fisherman village, rock climbing, Kiteboard surf and much more. But if you like to enjoy nightlife of Hua Hin is just only 20 minutes away.
- Seniors Travel - From trips and tours to travel deals, Senior Travel Hub is today's source for finding the information you need to plan your dream trip. There's no time like the present to see the world.
- Exotic Travels - Interesting Places in Exotic Countries!
- Sailing Cruise for sailors who love to travel by sail boat. The wind changing their direction, but cannot change the sailor's destination. Find Sailing Information for Traveling with sea and sun.
- Queensland Armchair Guide - A journey from The Gold Coast in the South of the State, to Cooktown in the Tropical North, visiting all the major tourism destinations along the way.
- Amsterdam by Boat - this site will tell you all about the different ways to enjoy the canals of Amsterdam.
- Quivertreeworld.com If you are looking for an adventure the whole family can enjoy, take a look at Quivertree for some inspiration. They specialise in custom designed family travel.
- Footprint Adventures - Adventure Travel, Wildlife, Birding, Trekking and Overlanding
- Manu Explorers is an ecological tourism company based in the rainforest that specializes in operating tours in the Peruvian jungle.
- Soft Adventure Tourism - The site is full of tips and information for travellers planning to visit non-traditional destinations for new experiences.
- Queenstown Adventure and Activity bookings - Queenstown, New Zealand - Queenstown Adventure can help you book all your adventure tours and activities while in Queenstown - the activity capital of the world. Choose your activity and book on-line.
- Slickrock.com - Whether you want to get some windsurfing instruction, explore new caves, get your PADI card, or visit little-known reefs by sea kayak, SlickRock can help you plan your adventure travel needs in Belize. You won't find maid service, umbrellas in your drinks, or email there, but you will find plenty to keep you in shape and engaged.
- Peru Adventure Tours features a variety of private excursion; Peru Cycling Tours, Peru Trekking Tours, Peru Climbing Tours, Peru Horse Tours, leisurely Peruvian Jungle Tours, Peru 4x4 Trucks Tours, 4 Days Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, hire camping and climbing equipment, hire Mountain bikes, and much more.
- Keystone Journeys and Overland NZ Offer overland tours in tailor made overland trucks throughout Africa, South America, Asia, parts of the Middle East
- If you plan on visiting South East Asia, visit vietnamandcambodia.com. The site is run by Adam a former tour guide who has lived and worked in Vietnam for the past eight years. The site offers a great "Free Travel Advice" service! If you need to know about hotels, weather, transportation, where to get cold beer or whatever else, simply email Adam your question and expect an honest, straight forward answer from someone who knows and loves the area.
- The backpacker ben travel blog offers useful information, travel photos as well as travel stories and advice on travelling round the world.
- Guided tours in Budapest - We offer sightseeing tours, guided walking tours and orientation tours in Budapest and all around Hungary. If you want to discover Budapest’s hidden treasures hire one of our multilingual guides who will provide up-to-the-minute insider information of the capitol and of its cultural heritage.
- A Pair of Panties & Boxers - She used to want the corner office. Now she wants the world. Monica blogs about her travels around the world & her travels through life. Either way she travel, it’s food for her soul.
- The Aussie Nomad – This site is about Chris who has left his little Australian country town behind to live and work the world over
As always, I'd love to hear what you guys think of the sites and if you've got any adventure holidays planned, just leave your message in the comments below!